Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Books I've Read in 2017

I love reading books meant for all ages.  Any book with stars by it is one I'd consider reading again in the future (or would consider having my kids read in the future) so presumably you (or your kids) might like it too.  If you've read (or wondered about) any of these books feel free to comment -- I'd love to chat with you...  Oh and if you love a book I don't (or vice versa), we can still be friends.

Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury
This novel was hard for me to read because it felt so disjointed.  This is a philosophical look at life and death from the point of view of a 12 yr old boy.  Mature themes.

Kindred, Octavia Butler
Dana, an African American living in 'present day' 1970s, time travels back to a pre-Civil War plantation.  Themes include slavery, inter-racial relationships and moral dilemmas. This was an interesting read, but I hated the ending sentence.  Mature themes.

Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion (Book 1), Julie Campbell 
I used to read Trixie mysteries back in the day and found this a refreshing read after Nancy Drew #2 was so simply solved.  Aimed at pre-teens.

Elizabeth Gail and the Mystery at the Johnson Farm, Hilda Stahl
I grew up with Elizabeth Gail books so this was a nostalgic read.  I found out this was turned into a movie back in 1989!  Aimed at pre-teens.

Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, Octavia Spencer
I like the writing style of this novel and the main character, Randi.  But, I am so confused as to why Octavia Spencer did not have her main character be black.  Spencer has been disappointed about the roles available to black people in Hollywood and this would have been a great way to 'ensure' a role in a future movie for a young, black actress in a leading role.  Aimed at pre-teens.  Desiree highly recommends it.

A Piece of the World, Christina Baker Kline
This novel tells the story of Christina, who was the inspiration for artist Andrew Wyeth's painting "Christina's World".  Farm life, love, bitterness and living with disability are themes in this novel.  I prefered the author's book "Orphan Train". 

X -- The German Girl, Armando Lucas Correa 
An interesting premise, but a difficult read.  It was hard to know which character was which since the two girls sounded so similar despite being generations apart.  Tuesday: "the worst day of all" became very tedious.

X -- Nancy Drew #2 -- The Hidden Staircase, Carolyn Keene
I've read Nancy Drews before, but found this one so tedious.  Very unrealistic, simple resolution to the mystery.  Aimed at pre-teens. 

Out of the Silent Planet, C.S. Lewis
I love the Narnia series, but this wasn't as much my style.  Ransom is kidnapped and taken aboard a spaceship to another planet.  I feel like I'd like this better as a movie...

X -- Two by Two, Nicholas Sparks
Ordinarily I like a Sparks novel for a quick read, but this was like watching a marriage fall apart from the inside.  The last of the novel was better than the beginning, but it took so long to get there...     

Pinky Pye, Eleanor Estes
Published in 1958, this novel is the continuing story of the Pye family and their newest addition -- Pinky the cat.  I didn't enjoy this book as much as "Ginger Pye", but owl fans may enjoy it.  Aimed at kids. 


*Child of the River, Irma Joubert*
Check out my review here

~❀~ Chelsey ~❀~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...